Thatched Owners Group
..Thatched Articles


Listed Building Consent – Who Needs It?

Central Government lists buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest to protect them as part of the nations’ heritage. This is done for the enjoyment and education of the population now and for future generations. The buildings are selected because they represent survival of past architectural styles and types of construction.

Listing is not meant to prevent alteration or change, but to protect buildings from insensitive alterations or extensions that may dramatically alter the history, fabric or special appeal of the building.

What is it that is listed?

The whole of the building is Listed, whatever its Grade. This includes any extensions, whatever their age. The inside of a Listed Building is protected as well as the outside. Other buildings on the site and any walls are also protected, if they were built before 1st July1948.

What type of work needs Listed Building Consent?

Listed Building Consent is needed before carrying our any works that will affect the historical or architectural character of a Listed Building. This could include:

• Demolition of any part of the building
Including all or part of any chimney stacks, internal walls and staircases.

• Extensions including Conservatories
This always needs Consent

• Altering the Structure of a Roof

Including adding new dormers or rooflights.

• Changes to the internal layout

Adding new partitions or openings and blocking up existing openings.

• Changes to Doors & Windows

Altering openings, designs or the material, including mouldings. Also, removing an historic window or door and replacing with a new one of any type or design.

• Telecommunications Equipment

This includes burglar alarms, satellite dishes and external meter boxes.

• Changing Roofing and Walling Materials

This covers major changes to roofing materials such as replacing old tiles with new, or, changing thatching materials for example from long straw to water reed. Similar changes to walling materials would also need consent, as would a change in rendering materials and painting in a different colour.

• Removing or Replacing Historic Fittings

This would include removing fireplace surrounds, window shutters, fitted cupboards and the like.

Trying to decide exactly what is a minor or major repair can sometimes prove difficult. As a guide, small scale like-for-like repairs do not usually require consent. But where repairs involve alterations affecting the character of a Listed Building, Consent is required.

Sensitive alterations to any listed buildings require a good understanding of its construction, materials used, historic character and architectural style. It is worth spending time getting your proposal right from the start as any changes made once consent has been granted will require a new application.

How are applications considered?

Most councils try to process applications for Listed Building Consent within 8 weeks. If an application is particularly complicated it may take longer. All applications have to be advertised, both on the site and in a local newspaper, and the views of the Town or Parish Council will be sought. English Heritage becomes involved, only if your building is listed grade1 or 11*..

Most decisions on Listed Building Consent applications are delegated to Council Officers. Upon successful receipt of Consent, the work must start within 5 years.

What if the application is refused?

If you application is refused or not decided within 8 weeks, you have a right of Appeal. Details as to this process are usually sent out with the decision Notice, or you can get the information form you local Planning Office.

Back to other articles in this category


© Copyright 2001 Thatched Owners Group. All rights reserved.